After months of hibernation, a polar bear mom and her cubs awake, hungry and in desperate need of food.
Feeding her cubs has become increasingly difficult because of global warming. Melting sea ice now means she has to swim out to sea to find food. Farther and farther her cubs follow behind her, trying to keep up as best they can. They have to keep pushing until they find food. And sadly, they don’t always make it.
Oil giant Shell has already begun exploratory drilling off the coast of Alaska. If oil is found, things will only get worse for this polar bear mother and her cubs, and other creatures in the Arctic.
Shell is not in the Arctic alone. Greenpeace is there as well with our ship, the Esperanza, documenting what’s happening below the surface where Shell plans to drill. We’re going to make sure the world sees what’s going on – especially if something goes wrong.
We’ve had incredible support from over one million people around the world who have signed on to support declaring the high Arctic a global sanctuary off limits to industrialization. Thanks to the help of Paul McCartney, Jude Law and people like you we’ve surpassed our original goal of one million signatures, and have set a new goal. When we reach two million signatures we’re going to take the names, put them on a flag for the future, and plant it at the bottom of the sea 4km beneath the North Pole.
Last year alone Shell admitted to causing 207 ‘significant’ spills worldwide in places like Nigeria and Britain’s North Sea. Any one of those would be an even greater disaster in the harsh waters of the Arctic. For the creatures of the Arctic we have a chance to make history.
Together we can make the creation of a global sanctuary in the high Arctic a reality. I know it’s possible because Greenpeace achieved the very same thing twenty years ago when Antarctica was declared a World Park, off-limits to industrialization. This is a long-term campaign. The oil industry won’t back down, and neither will we. But our plan and the creatures that call the Arctic home all depend on your support. Greenpeace doesn’t take a dime from corporations or governments.
*PLEASE VISIT ~~> http://www.savethearctic.org please help stop the oil companies from drilling in the arctic.
- far-away-from-here0 reblogged this from nevinhirik
- cerezosenelcorazon likes this
- horizonteanimal reblogged this from nevinhirik
- francesafloripa likes this
- horizonteanimal likes this
- pumpkinbuttercup reblogged this from eddietg
- somewhatmeretricious likes this
- introvertedart reblogged this from eddietg and added:
- introvertedart likes this
- the-arkenstone likes this
- thisisnotmyhomeplanet reblogged this from eddietg
- wantedcosine reblogged this from zenjestrr
- skookaboo reblogged this from eddietg
- crossrage likes this
- timekiller-s likes this
- remybhadley reblogged this from rubenwho
- remybhadley likes this
- rubenwho reblogged this from zenjestrr
- zenjestrr reblogged this from eddietg
- eddietg reblogged this from larger-than-life76
- eddietg likes this
- larger-than-life76 reblogged this from drzank
- drzank likes this
- neath-the-black-veil likes this
- painofthetruth likes this
- ritterlied likes this
- serafaery reblogged this from glitchinthematrixx
- serafaery likes this
- astro-futurist reblogged this from glitchinthematrixx
- nilaexplosion likes this
- hazeofwinter reblogged this from glitchinthematrixx
- glitchinthematrixx reblogged this from ladylilith333
- glitchinthematrixx likes this
- whatshallwedo likes this
- astralsailor reblogged this from ladylilith333
- zhuzz likes this
- its-onlygene likes this
- harukazeinsneaker reblogged this from xeirinix
- ladylilith333 likes this
- xeirinix reblogged this from theforbiddencolors
- theforbiddencolors reblogged this from nevinhirik
- thewarroom likes this
- nevinhirik reblogged this from redwingjohnny
- dakotapuma reblogged this from liberal-focus
- snowsgreen reblogged this from liberal-focus
- mistymorrning likes this
- redwingjohnny likes this
- yassanova likes this
- animalsassemble reblogged this from redwingjohnny
- sosungjackskellington reblogged this from liberal-focus